There are a wide range of circumstances in which an independent opinion of value is required, and each different scenario requires specialist knowledge and the application of specific skills.
If this is your situation
- Courts, regulators, shareholders and business will, at different times, all need an objective specialist to provide a valuation of an asset or business. The context and purpose of the valuation determines the approach that needs to be taken to provide an appropriate opinion.
- In the instance of a commercial dispute, courts require a completely independent and objective analysis of disputed assets. In these circumstances the opinion is given solely at the behest of the court and total objectivity is vital.
- In the instance of shareholder disputes, an opinion is often required by shareholders to verify valuations in the event of an issue of share options which dilute existing holdings.
- In the event of a merger or acquisition an objective verification of the values inherent in a transaction using an exchange of shares is required to confirm that the mechanism in use offers appropriate value. Similarly, where an asset is exchange for an equity share in a business, an independent valuation is required to demonstrate the appropriate value of the contribution in kind.
- The services provided by A. F. Ferguson & Co. ensure adherence to the appropriate level of independence in all circumstances. We are appointed by the courts and the regulatory authorities around the globe to provide independent, knowledgeable opinions relating to value. We draw on considerable economic and commercial specialization to ensure that our opinions are delivered to the most robust standards of objectivity and independence.
How A. F. Ferguson & Co. can help
- Fulfilling corporate governance obligations for non-executive directors and audit committees. Increasingly, non-executive directors and audit committees bear a significant responsibility for corporate governance. This responsibility extends to ensuring that assets are appropriately valued and that the accounts reflect the underlying reality of the business.
- We are able to assist non-executives directors and audit committees to address their governance obligations by providing independent support of the valuations inherent in their verification of accounts and reports.